The Fred Fallis award is available annually for an individual or group which has demonstrated innovation and excellence in online learning for health professionals.
Criteria for Award Selection
- Needs Assessment
- Course Planning
- Online learning environment
- Evaluation methods
- Evaluation ratings (from participants)
- Learning Outcomes /Fulfillment of course objectives
Terms of reference
- All faculty affiliated with University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine are eligible for the award
- One award available annually for an individual or group which has demonstrated innovation and excellence in online learning for health professionals
- The online learning program must have been accredited through the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine CPD Office and can either be a stand-alone program or supportive of a live CPD activity
- Closing date for nominations is the end of November for the programs developed in the previous academic year
- Nominations should be made by a faculty member, preferably a department chair or CPD director
- An individual who has been previously nominated and has not won an award remains eligible in a succeeding year. An individual will not normally be considered for a Fallis Award if he or she has won the award in the previous 3 years
- An individual or group can be nominated for more than one CPD award. Each award nomination requires its own application and documentation specific to the award in which the individual/group has been nominated.
- Description of the online learning program
- List of planning committee (if not in program)
- Website address where the program can be viewed
- Needs assessment data on which program was developed
- Course objectives
- Statement of learning outcomes
- Data on learning outcomes (if relevant)
- Evaluation data
- Participant’s comments
- 2 letters of peer support (letter or email)
- All above documents must pertain to the current CPD event submitted for evaluation
- Previous programs may be submitted to show evolution of the course if relevant (up to 3)
$500.00 cash gift
Awards & Fellowships
CPD has eight annual Awards in Continuing Education that recognize excellence in research, scholarship, innovation, teamwork and long term commitment to continuing education for faculty at the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine. View last years awards winners.
Click on the name of the award to learn more.
Colin R. Woolf Award for Long Term Commitment to Continuing Education
Colin R. Woolf Award for Continuing Education Course Direction
Colin R. Woolf Awards of Excellence for teaching, innovation and long-term commitment to continuing education
Dave Davis Research Award recognizes an outstanding completed research project in continuing education and professional development in the Faculty of Medicine.
David Fear Fellowship awarded to a Faculty of Medicine faculty member to attend an educational leadership course
Fred Fallis Award in Distance Education recognizes an individual or group which has demonstrated innovation and excellence in online learning for health professionals.
Interprofessional Health Care Team Continuing Education Award recognizes excellence in interprofessional team CE and PD designed to enhance interprofessional team practice to improve health care delivery.
Ivan Silver Innovation Award recognizes a CPD initiative developed and delivered by a University of Toronto faculty member or team
Deadline for nominations for the previous academic year is November 30 (If November 30 falls on a weekend the deadline will be the following working day).
- All faculty affiliated with U of T Faculty of Medicine are eligible for consideration.
- Awards are in recognition of U of T accredited Continuing Education courses only.
- An individual who has been previously nominated and has not won an award remains eligible in a succeeding year. A new submission is required.
- An individual will not normally be considered for an award if he or she has won the award in the previous five years. They are however eligible to apply in another category.