The Office of Continuing Professional Development at the Faculty of Medicine is a key player in transforming Canadian healthcare and a global leader in continuing healthcare education research. Our research and scholarship programs aim to strengthen the linkages between CPD and knowledge translation, quality improvement, and patient safety.
Research and Scholarship Consultations
CPD offers faculty members consultations with our Scholarship Team about projects related to CPD or CPD accredited programs. We can offer assistance with writing grant or ethics applications, study design and analysis, and disseminating your findings. Please contact Morag Paton (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a brief description of your idea or study and what kind of support you may need.
Human Research Ethics Protocols Process
The University of Toronto’s process for the submission and review of human research ethics protocols has moved online and instead of emailing completed forms, protocols can now be submitted online through My Research Human Protocols (MRHP). In order to access the My Research Applications (MRA) system, on which MRHP is hosted, faculty members must have research privileges at the University of Toronto. The Research and Innovation Office has compiled a guide for Principal Investigators on how to navigate the system. Faculty who are eligible may also designate access to ethics protocols to staff or students through the MRHP system in order to assist with the submission process.
Recent CPD Scholarship
We are happy to share with you some recent publications/posts related to Continuing Professional Development. Some are authored by colleagues within the University of Toronto while others are topics that may be of interest to the community. Feel free to make additional suggestions to us for inclusion by emailing Morag Paton, Education Research Coordinator.
- Moore Jr, D. E., Chappell, K., Sherman, L., & Vinayaga-Pavan, M. (2018). A conceptual framework for planning and assessing learning in continuing education activities designed for clinicians in one profession and/or clinical teams. Medical Teacher, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2018.1483578
- Sargeant, J., Wong, B. M., & Campbell, C. M. (2018). CPD of the future: a partnership between quality improvement and competency‐based education. Medical education, 52(1), 125-135. https://doi.org/10.1111/medu.13407
- Ginsburg, S., Lynch, M., & Walsh, C. M. (2018). A Fine Balance: How Authors Strategize Around Journal Submission. Academic Medicine, 93(8), 1176-1181. https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000002265
- Haas, S., Gawande, A., & Reynolds, M. E. (2018). The risks to patient safety from health system expansions. JAMA, 319(17), 1765-1766. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.2074
- Links, M. J. (2017). Beyond competency-based continuing professional development. Medical Teacher, 1-6. doi:10.1080/0142159X.2017.1401219
- Davis, D. A., Rayburn, W. F., & Smith, G. A. (2017). Continuing Professional Development for Faculty: An Elephant in the House of Academic Medicine or the Key to Future Success? Academic Medicine, 92(8), 1078-1081. DOI: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000001777
- Pugh, D. (2017). #Appliedmededmethods101 – Retrospective Cohort Studies. Retrieved from https://icenetblog.royalcollege.ca/2017/12/12/appliedmededmethods101-retrospective-cohort-studies/
- Shen, N., Sockalingam, S., Abi Jaoude, A., Bailey, S. M., Bernier, T., Freeland, A., . . . Wiljer, D. (2017). Scoping review protocol: education initiatives for medical psychiatry collaborative care. BMJ Open, 7(9), e015886. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-015886
Awards & Fellowships
CPD has eight annual Awards in Continuing Education that recognize excellence in research, scholarship, innovation, teamwork and long term commitment to continuing education for faculty at the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine. View last years awards winners.
Click on the name of the award to learn more.
Colin R. Woolf Award for Long Term Commitment to Continuing Education
Colin R. Woolf Award for Continuing Education Course Direction
Colin R. Woolf Awards of Excellence for teaching, innovation and long-term commitment to continuing education
Dave Davis Research Award recognizes an outstanding completed research project in continuing education and professional development in the Faculty of Medicine.
David Fear Fellowship awarded to a Faculty of Medicine faculty member to attend an educational leadership course
Fred Fallis Award in Distance Education recognizes an individual or group which has demonstrated innovation and excellence in online learning for health professionals.
Interprofessional Health Care Team Continuing Education Award recognizes excellence in interprofessional team CE and PD designed to enhance interprofessional team practice to improve health care delivery.
Ivan Silver Innovation Award recognizes a CPD initiative developed and delivered by a University of Toronto faculty member or team
Deadline for nominations for the previous academic year is November 30 (If November 30 falls on a weekend the deadline will be the following working day).
- All faculty affiliated with U of T Faculty of Medicine are eligible for consideration.
- Awards are in recognition of U of T accredited Continuing Education courses only.
- An individual who has been previously nominated and has not won an award remains eligible in a succeeding year. A new submission is required.
- An individual will not normally be considered for an award if he or she has won the award in the previous five years. They are however eligible to apply in another category.