The Office of Continuing Professional Development at the Faculty of Medicine is a key player in transforming Canadian healthcare and a global leader in continuing healthcare education research. Our research and scholarship programs aim to strengthen the linkages between CPD and knowledge translation, quality improvement, and patient safety.
The Office of CPD promotes research and scholarship through faculty CPD Research and Development Grants and Continuing Education Awards.
Five CPD Must Reads
- Effectiveness of continuing medical education.
Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep). 2007 Jan;(149):1-69. Review.
- Twenty predictions for the future of CPD: implications of the shift from the update model to improving clinical practice.
J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2012 Summer;32(3):151-2. doi: 10.1002/chp.21139. No abstract available.
- Continuing medical education and quality improvement: a match made in heaven?
Ann Intern Med. 2012 Feb 21;156(4):305-8. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-156-4-201202210-00008.
- (Mis)perceptions of continuing education: insights from knowledge translation, quality improvement, and patient safety leaders.
J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2013 Spring;33(2):81-8. doi: 10.1002/chp.21169.
- Achieving desired results and improved outcomes: integrating planning and assessment throughout learning activities.
J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2009 Winter;29(1):1-15. doi: 10.1002/chp.20001.
Awards & Fellowships
CPD has eight annual Awards in Continuing Education that recognize excellence in research, scholarship, innovation, teamwork and long term commitment to continuing education for faculty at the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine. View last years awards winners.
Click on the name of the award to learn more.
Colin R. Woolf Award for Long Term Commitment to Continuing Education
Colin R. Woolf Award for Continuing Education Course Direction
Colin R. Woolf Awards of Excellence for teaching, innovation and long-term commitment to continuing education
Dave Davis Research Award recognizes an outstanding completed research project in continuing education and professional development in the Faculty of Medicine.
David Fear Fellowship awarded to a Faculty of Medicine faculty member to attend an educational leadership course
Fred Fallis Award in Distance Education recognizes an individual or group which has demonstrated innovation and excellence in online learning for health professionals.
Interprofessional Health Care Team Continuing Education Award recognizes excellence in interprofessional team CE and PD designed to enhance interprofessional team practice to improve health care delivery.
Ivan Silver Innovation Award recognizes a CPD initiative developed and delivered by a University of Toronto faculty member or team
Deadline for nominations for the previous academic year is November 30 (If November 30 falls on a weekend the deadline will be the following working day).
- All faculty affiliated with U of T Faculty of Medicine are eligible for consideration.
- Awards are in recognition of U of T accredited Continuing Education courses only.
- An individual who has been previously nominated and has not won an award remains eligible in a succeeding year. A new submission is required.
- An individual will not normally be considered for an award if he or she has won the award in the previous five years. They are however eligible to apply in another category.