Dr. Fred Fallis had a distinguished and pioneering career in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto. He was one of the founding members of the Department of Family & Community Medicine and served as its Chair from 1970-1982. He then became the first Assistant Dean of Continuing Education in the Faculty of Medicine, holding the position until 1985. Dr. Fallis was one of the founders of Telemedicine for Ontario, which later became Telemedicine Canada. He is widely recognized for his contributions to innovation in education.
The Fred Fallis award is available annually for an individual or group who has demonstrated innovation and excellence in virtual learning that enables access to CPD for health care practitioners for whom barriers exist to engaging in tradtional CPD prgorams.
- Demonstrated excellence in online program/conference development
- Demonstrated excellence of learner engagement in an online program/conference
- Demonstrated fulfillment of program objectives
- Evidence of effective evaluation strategy
- Evidence of program outcomes
- Demonstrated impact of online program
- One award is available annually for an individual or group which has demonstrated innovation and excellence in online learning for health professionals
- The online learning program must have been accredited through the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine CPD Office and can either be a stand-alone program or supportive of a live CPD activity
- This award is selected annually for programs that took place in the previous academic year. For example, the nomination process held in November 2018 will recognize programs or conferences that took place from July 1 2017 to June 30 2018
- Please refer to Terms of Reference for further details
Required Submission Requirements
- Executive summary and letter of nomination that addresses the award criteria, outlining the nominee’s accomplishments, and the nominator’s reasons for supporting the nomination.
- Program/Conference information dossier that includes:
- Downloaded copy or live link to the program/conference agenda or online components
- Needs assessment process and data on which the program/conference was developed
- Statement of program objectives
- Statement of learning outcomes if relevant (may be addressed in objectives)
- Data on learning outcomes
- Evaluation/outcome data
- Participant comments
All above documents must pertain to the current CPD program submitted for nomination
Optional Submission Requirements
- Links to descriptions of previous programs MAY be submitted to show evolution of the program/conference if it has gone through major development over time (maximum of two years). Please include a brief description of those changes.
CPD Awards & Fellowships
Colin Woolf Award for Excellence in Program Development and Coordination recognizes excellence in program/conference development
Colin Woolf Award for Long Term Contributions to CPD recognizes excellence in teaching, subject mastery, and the ability to engage learners
Colin Woolf Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching of CPD recognizes sustained commitment to and excellence in education, and impact of leadership roles/positions
Dave Davis Research Award in recognition of an outstanding completed research project in continuing professional development in the Faculty of Medicine
David Fear Fellowship awarded to a Faculty of Medicine faculty member to develop or attend a continuing professional development program
Fred Fallis Award in Online Learning recognizes an individual or group which has demonstrated innovation and excellence in online learning for health professionals
Excellence in Interprofessional CPD Award recognizes excellence in CPD activities designed to enhance interprofessional team practice and improve healthcare delivery
Ivan Silver Innovation Award recognizes excellence in innovation in a CPD initiative developed and delivered by a University of Toronto faculty member or team
Deadline for nominations for the previous academic year is November 30 (If November 30 falls on a weekend the deadline will be the following working day).